Montag, 14. November 2011
AMD 5
For this Chapter’s AMD I did the suggested activity and read the “Denglisch” Wikipedia article. As oblivious as it may sound I didn’t realize how much English is working its way into the German language. Certain phrases/words I was already aware of, such as “E-mail” and “Downgeloaden” but what really surprised me was the infiltration of English grammar. Using apostrophes for possessives is a small change but still more significant, I think, than single words being integrated into the language. Though it may seem strange that German may be evolving slightly with the increasing popularity and power of English; those offended and/or unhappy which these changes should bear in mind that evolution within a language is inevitable. After all, both English and German originated and adapted from Latin; so those unhappy with sullied German need bear in mind that German (& English) are just sullied versions of Latin.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.