Montag, 14. November 2011

AMD 5 - Taylor Gray

For AMD 5, I read the Denglisch article from Wikipedia. I found the article quite interesting and learned a lot about the integration of English into German advertising and Pop Culture. It was funny to read the German words and translations for some of the dumb things people do when trying to translate from English to German. Deppenapostroph is translated as "idoiot's apostrophe or idiot's inverted comma" and Deppenleerstelle means "idiot's space," are two words used to describe the improper translation's of the two languages.
The Denglisch article also gave a list of some similar words that are translated between the two languages. I did some additional research to try to find more words that are used in both languages and found the following link that highlighted a number of these words.

http://german.about.com/library/blvoc_gerloan.htm

There are a lot of words that we use in our everyday English language that actually have German origin. Here are a couple of those words with the obvious German translation.

German English

Angst angst
Aspirin aspirin
Delikatessen Deli
Fahrenheit Fahrenheit
Frankfurter Wurst frankfurter


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.