Mittwoch, 16. November 2011
Kultur 5
So far I’ve really enjoyed the Kultur articles (specifically those drawn from Spiegel Online) and this chapter was no exception. They’re short, entertaining, and best of all illustrate the sometimes slight, but always numerous, cultural disparities between Germans and Americans. The funny thing about this week’s selection was that, though humorously and artfully done, many German stereotypes were confirmed. Everyone has heard them and knows them well; Germans are boring, rude, and have a strange affinity for S&M. Though it was explained that German courtship and flirting is much more reserved, apologies/excuse me’s are unnecessary if no harm was done, and that sex shops aren’t a big deal and can be found nearly anywhere; to an American these behaviors would still come off as boring, rude, and freakish. Admittedly, if I were to be thrown into Germany and were to encounter these social scenarios (specifically the male to female interactions and street courtesy); I would very likely perceive them as rude and dull. On the flip side, for the above imagined and completely unrealistic scenario I would also be fulfilling my American stereotype (ignorant and arrogant) by not bothering to learn about where I’m traveling. I suppose the only way to ward off the unpleasantries of cultural clashes would be to actually educate yourself on the people and cultural to which you’re about to be exposed.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.