It's easy to see why English is making its way into German, and many other languages. Scientific papers, in order to receive the most international recognition, should be in English. Most, or all, of the terminology associated with IT is English, so it's natural to adopt the same terms in other languages. At the same time, the opposition is understandable. German and English are so closely related that it's easy to imagine the Denglish trend continuing until German is just a different dialect of English. That would be unfortunate, but I'm not sure it would happen quite like that.
Seeing the use of English terms in some German speech is comforting for me, as an English speaker learning German. It means that in my communication with German speakers, I might run into fewer unfamiliar words, which is a good thing for understanding them. I might be unhappy, though, if I put all of this time into learning German and it just transformed into English!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.