Sonntag, 2. Oktober 2011

AMD 2

I lack creativity, so I read Mark Twain's essay, "The Awful German Language."

Although most of the essay is covered in Twain's trademark wit, and therefore, plenty of exaggeration, I think he makes some good points regarding some aspects, even some we've already had the opportunity to suffer in our short time wrestling with the German language.

To begin with, it is comforting to know that I am not alone in the pain I suffer due to the tendency the German language has for reusing words, and remembering the differences thereof.

I don't even know that declension is, but with the way Twain describes it regarding German adjectives, it invokes a kind of horrible primal fear in me, and I fear I will have nightmares to come, filled with hellish conjugation, as we learn its subtleties.

I can't even think of another language where the words for "she" and "he" are also used for inanimate objects, but things like verb separation don't seem quite as bad as Twain makes them seem, but to be fair, we've only been dealing with extremely simple sentences so far.

Compound nouns seem imposing at first, but I feel like they're relatively easy to deal with when you have a good knowledge of German vocabulary and thus can easily identify their components.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.