Sonntag, 2. Oktober 2011

Direct Directness

I posted this on the wrong blog originally, apologies.

I found these articles rather interesting to read. Being German myself, I like to compare to see how close I am to the typical German, and more interestingly, how close my father still is. My father never complains about anything, but he is direct. Quite direct on a lot of things. It's funny to think that he is going to be there in a week and will have to navigate that culture.

I would agree that the information about the soccer team is out of date. As a German soccer fan myself, I hope much optimism for the team and feel that it is headed in the right direction. But of course this is a result of recent success and of being young and seeing that success.

Being a statistics major myself, it is interesting to see that Germans also have an interest in describing the world through statistics. It is an interesting way to identify with people and I feel that American's do the same thing, but less directly. Around Ann Arbor at least, when you ask someone where they are from they give many signals to how big the place is. Much of this is through words like, "O just some place called" or "A city near".  People often ask about how many people were in one's highschool. It is interesting to see that Germans are so much more direct about it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.