Hallo! I read the article from the New York Times since the subject of the first blog assig really occupied my mind... it is really interesting to think about every aspect of every part of my life and wonder where it originates. Being part-Japanese, I've always enjoyed a mix of my American and Japanese backgrounds, with special holidays like Girls' Day and Boys' Day.
I have to admit I laughed at the image the description of Mr. Michaelis created in my head, but mainly I have just been surprised at the apparent reaction to the "Wild West" in Germany. Just like the author, I had absolutely no idea the extent of the obsession and the number of venues etc. there are, like the powwows. To me it reveals the power of the written language especially with the unknown, in this case America to the Germans. Karl May, even with his "tall-tale"s had the force to inspire this fervor...Although this must have seemed exciting and thrilling for his audience, I think the real thing or the reality of cultures in their purest sense is best.
I went to Austria and Germany in the spring on an orchestra trip, visiting Wien and Salzburg and Munich. I have to say Salzburg was my favorite especially in the super non-touristy areas...
Oh, one more thing, I had schnitzel like every day there... like three different kinds.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.