For the latest AMD, I visited the Kerrytown Kindlefest this weekend. The market was a good time, especially since they had Glühwein and plenty of wurst. The former of the two, Glühwein, is also called mulled wine, and is a red wine served warm with cinnamon and other spices. It kind of tasted like a bitter cider, but that was probably due to the cinnamon.
According to annarbor.com, the website I first learned of this market, the tradition of Christmas markets in Germany (Weihnachtsmarkt or Christkindlmarkt) is both common and widespread. As the article suggested, St. Nikolaus and his evil partner Krampus often visit these markets. Unfortunately I did not get to see Krampus this weekend, which was a big let down. I the entire concept of a Christmas bad guy seems rather foreign to me (except for the Grinch, I suppose), and from what I’ve seen of Krampus on Youtube, he looks pretty intense.
In all, the market was fun, albeit entirely too busy. If I stay in Ann Arbor another year, so help me, I will see Krampus next year!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.