Mittwoch, 16. November 2011

Kultur 5 - Taylor Gray

I found this weeks articles the most interesting and entertaining so far. Again I tried to put myself in the shoes of an American tourist in Germany who would be trying to "fit in" with the common culture there. The first, of many, customs I would have to get used to is the rugby-like physicality that regular German walkers imply on innocent walkers. Like many, I would be apologetic my first few times running into someone on the street or autobahn. But after a few shoulder bumps, I'm sure I would take any other physical contact personally. I would probably start dishing out some shoulder jabs myself. Men, Women, kids, and the elderly better watch out!

The next article, concerning the bathroom attendants, reminded me of an incident from a few months ago. Over the summer my friends and I celebrated a birthday at a nearby Canadian club where the was a bathroom attendant working. After washing my hands, he held out a basket expecting a tip. Although I was not used to this, I reached in my pocket to hand him some change. All I had was a $5 bill so I handed it to him and asked for change. When he snatched my money away turned his back to me, I immediately asked for my money back. He wouldn't budge, so I asked a club bouncer to help me out. Unfortunately, the bouncer sided with the bathroom attendant, and I was out of $5. I learned my lesson though - make sure you use the restroom before you leave home.

The article concerning German flirting was very interesting as well. If I were to approach a German woman, I would definitely be the nice, respectful gentleman that I am. But based on this article, I might be slapped for smiling and my approach. I refuse to believe that all women would react this way, but after a few rejections I would probably give up and watch a "real" German pursue a lady; hopefully I could learn a few things!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.