For this AMD I chose to read the "Awful German Language" by Mark Twain. And boy was it awful. There is nothing better at killing one's optimism for learning German than that essay. It is quite the shelling of the German language. My brother who is in a much more advanced German language class keeps asking me if I have gotten to the "crazy" stuff in German. Well now I think that I know what is talking about. Despite Twain's shelling of the language, I still feel that I am going to continue studying German (like I have a choice)
At this point we are at least aware of most of the things that Twain talks about. Besides the word order, I think that most things are present along a variety of language. Many languages gives gender to nouns and most have a lot of different forms of conjugation depending on the case of the word. I do admit that German is quite tricking when it comes to that. I am by no means defending the German language. While I have had a so far so good attitude toward the language, I am sure that it will increase in difficulty quite significantly.
The extent to which sentences and nouns can extend in length is the most troubling. There really is no way to get around that. The sentences just seem to go on for days and the verbs are split by three different ideas. Some things just don't make sense in the language but there is so much carry over from English that hopefully we will be able to focus on the more tricky stuff. There are a great amount of cognate words which makes learning easier, or at least saves times. I'm excited to see what new challenges are ahead and we will see how it goes from here on out. Regardless of not have Twain's blessing, we will have to carry on.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.